Content monetisation and marketing service provider InMobi in collaboration with Microsoft Advertising has unveiled key insights from its annual guide to seasonal digital marketing. The study, India’s 2023 Festive Trends Decoded revealed how brands can leverage the power of search and omnichannel solutions to create a unique marketing strategy and maximise their impact by better connecting with their audiences. The report also highlights the consumer’s interests across various categories.
In 2022, a significant trend emerged in festive shopping: a dramatic surge in keyword searches for sale, discounts, offers, cheap, deals, and near me. Across categories like consumer electronics, groceries, food, personal care, gifting, and automobiles, these searches experienced an average Month-over-Month (MoM) increase of +19 per cent.
"Brands play a significant role in amplifying the emotions of festivities among people, and it is vital for a brand to have a presence while catering to the needs of their consumers. By leveraging smart solutions and implementing an effective marketing strategy, they will not only enable themselves to reach their target audience effectively but also stay ahead of their competitors,” said Rohit Dosi, vice president and general manager of Microsoft Advertising at InMobi. “The months leading up to the festivities around Dussehra, Diwali, and Christmas are important seasons for brands to leverage smart solutions, as consumer interest is piqued at this time," added Rohit.
The study highlights that brands can prepare for pre-festive excitement and beyond by tapping into category-specific user insights to craft tailored experiences like special offers and engaging content. In line with InMobi's 2023 report, The Marketers Guide to India’s Festive Season, 54 per cent of consumers are expected to engage in hybrid shopping.
Additional findings from the study include:
- Apparel and Jewellery: In October 2022, searches for apparel, accessories, and jewellery increased by 8 per cent MoM, while clicks grew by 3 per cent. During Dussehra the previous year, searches surged by +16 per cent WoW, but clicks decreased by -8 per cent WoW. Conversely, during Diwali week, there was a +6 per cent WoW increase in searches and a +20 per cent WoW rise in clicks.
- Beauty and Personal Care: Beauty and Personal Care items in India experienced a +21 per cent rise in searches and a +13 per cent increase in clicks, aligning with the shopping and festive periods.
- Consumer electronics: Witnessed a +30 per cent increase in searches and a +13 per cent rise in clicks, driven by festive season deals, reflecting heightened consumer interest in October 2022.
- Groceries and Household Supplies: The festive season led to a +20 per cent rise in searches for groceries and household supplies, driven by the need to prepare meals and treats.
- Food and Beverages: The food category saw an +8 per cent rise in searches and a +4 per cent increase in clicks, highlighting the enduring appeal of festive culinary experiences in October.
- Home Furnishings: During the festive season, consumers sought novelty by revamping home décor and furnishings, resulting in a +19 per cent rise in searches and a +37 per cent increase in clicks month-on-month.
- Home Appliances: High demand for home appliances and sales contributed to significant online interest, with the category experiencing a remarkable +29 per cent surge in searches and an impressive +59 per cent increase in clicks in October 2022.
- Gifting: During the festive season, there was a +35 per cent increase in searches and a +42 per cent rise in clicks for gifting and flowers in October 2022, a trend that continued until December.
- Cars and Automobiles: Interest in new cars and motorbikes peaked in October with a +12 per cent increase in searches, driven by festive and year-end sales, and this trend continued until December 2022.